TERMS OF THE AWARD
(a) This award has been made possible by a generous gift to the university by David Harold Tribe, author and humanist, to promote the writing of poetry in Australia. The award provides poets with funds that might enable them to further their education in the field of poetry, to continue to refine their work as poets, and to improve the general public's appreciation of Australian poetry.
(b) The award will be presented to the person with the best original poem of up to 100 lines submitted to the Department of English, provided that the judging panel is of the opinion that the work is of sufficient merit to warrant the award being made.
(c) The judges for the 2018 award are eminent poets Kate Lilley, Pam Brown and Keri Glastonbury.
(d) The award will be in the sum of $12,000.
(e) The winning poem will be published in Southerly.
Conditions of Entry
- This award is for an original, previously unpublished poem of up to 100 lines, completed not earlier than three years before the closing date by a person normally resident in Australia during the four years prior to the submission of the poem.
- Only one entry per poet will be accepted.
- Previously published or prize-winning poems will not be accepted.
- Entries must not be under consideration for publication.
- The poet must present the entry under their own name and not under a pseudonym.
- The poet's name or any other identifying details are not to be included in the manuscript.
- The complete manuscript should be submitted in one Word or PDF document, font 12 point at least, with page numbers.
- Entries will not be returned.
- Only electronic submissions via Submittable will be accepted.
- A panel of judges appointed by the university will short-list applications and select a winner.
- The decision of the judges is final and no further correspondence will be entered into.
- Late entries will not be considered.
For any further enquiries please email (with David Tribe in the subject line): firstname.lastname@example.org